Who can forget W aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, May 2, 2003 – proudly proclaiming just what the banner behind him said: “Mission Accomplished”.
That image haunted W’s presidency. It haunts him to this day because nothing had actually been accomplished. The only thing they’d succeeded at, mission-wise, up to that point was successfully hanging that banner without anyone getting hurt.
Like everything else Republicans say, “Mission Accomplished” was marketing, no more honest or genuine than Mitch McConnell insisting Merrick Garland couldn’t get a hearing because “the American people needed to make the SCOTUS choice, not the president who they’d overwhelmingly returned to office”. That WAS what Moscow Mitch said with as straight a face as he could muster.
And yet – when it comes to “Mission Accomplished”, Republicans have actually succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. The America being torn apart right now is the America Republicans want. We are living in their “Mission Accomplished” – or, to be accurate, “Mission NEARLY Accomplished”. Republicans can see Permanent Minority Rule from their house now. They ache to get there.
This is how close Republicans are now to accomplishing their mission –
- PACK THE COURTS — Moscow Mitch denied Obama dozens of lifetime court appointments. How strange that all those vacancies started filling the moment Trump became POTUS.
- How strange that Merrick Garland couldn’t get a hearing while Brett Kavanaugh skated despite overwhelming evidence he was unworthy to hold the judgeship he already held.
- PROHIBIT NON-WHITE IMMIGRATION – Children in cages, anyone?
- DESTROY THE ENVIRONMENT – We left the Paris Accords. Ryan Zinke. The end of clean water, clean air, National Parks. Life as we know it.
- MAKE THE RICH RICHER & THE POOR POORER – Tax cuts for the rich, bullshit & lies for everyone else.
- INSTITUTIONALIZE RACISM – “Decent people on both sides”.
- MAKE GERRYMANDERING PERMANENT – Twice as many Democrats as Republicans have to vote in order for their majority to actually feel like a majority. The whole point of gerrymandering is to CIRCUMVENT the Will Of The People. Welcome to Republicanism. Can’t win on the law, can’t win on procedure, so pound the table into sawdust instead.
- ENFORCE PERMANENT MINORITY RULE – Remind the class – how many more votes did Hilary Clinton get over Trump? 3 million plus, was it? Remember – that doesn’t include all the uncounted, provisional, suppressed, flipped & tossed in the trash ballots. Think any of those were Republican votes?
- DESTROY OUR RELATIONSHIPS WITH ALL ALLIES – The knife-wound in the Kurds’ back is still fresh enough we can watch it bleed.
- MAKE AMERICA A RUSSIAN SATELLITE STATE – How about that: “MISSION ACCOMPLISHED”!