Donald Trump and his presidency have unleashed a golden age of bullshit upon the land.
We know for a fact that if Donald Trump — or anyone supporting him — opens their mouth, what follows will almost certainly be a total lie. After 3+ years of living inside this nonstop maelstrom of nonsense and fuckery, you can feel our collective weariness just by walking outside your front door.
We felt it the night Trump “won”. We knew we’d crossed over from the reality we’d all lived in — and taken for granted — to a whole new space where not being able to discern bullshit from reality was the point of the exercise. Look at how long it’s taken the MSM — who spend their lives to digging for the truth (in theory) — to even realize that maybe the reason Trump is so chummy with Vladimir Putin is because Putin owns Trump.
Our MSM still hasn’t gone all the way to that realization — but they can see it from their houses. That’s a huge improvement.
We all endure and even tolerate staggering amounts of bullshit in our lives. Never mind other peoples’ bullshit — if we all looked squarely at our own and nothing but, we’d have plenty of work ahead of us — if we wanted to live bullshit free.
The 4 Levels Of Bullshit
Level 1: Incidental Bullshit
- Your 5 year old asks if there’s Santa Claus; you say yes.
- It’s 6 am. You have to get up. You don’t want to. “Five more minutes,” you tell yourself – you won’t be late. Bullshit – you know damned well you’ll be late. You do it anyway.
- “One more spoonful of ice cream won’t matter to my diet/diabetes.”
- “Why did you look at me funny when I took one more spoonful of ice cream?”
- “Have a nice day” (no matter who says it, no matter why).
Incidental Bullshit is water off a duck’s back. Life’s just too short to get too hung up on this kind of low grade truthiness. It’s petty mostly. Meaningless and forgettable. However: This is the ‘shit’ that ‘happens’. It just does. What are any of us going to do about it? Nothing. Moving on…
Level 2: Tolerable Bullshit
- Your 10 year old – who’s starting to figure things out – asks if there’s a Santa Claus; you say yes.
- Your bff always brings a bottle of red wine when she comes over – except you drink white wine. What kind of guest is that? You could say something, but you don’t; you’ll keep the peace instead.
- You both know damned well whose turn it is to clean the bathroom – but you do it better anyway, so…
- “I love you” said under duress.
Tolerable Bullshit will challenge you occasionally – is it actually tolerable? Small doses – no problem. More than that? It could easily start to feel just like bullshit.
Level 3: Red Flag Warning Bullshit
- Your 20 year old asks – for real – if there’s a Santa Claus.
- “I don’t have a drinking problem.”
- “My phone’s battery died. No, really – I swear it!”
You know it in your gut – it ain’t right. It doesn’t add up or it just plain smells. This is the bullshit that leaves a mark – or worse. Deal with it now – you’ll probably be okay. Ignore the warning and this bullshit will likely morph into –
Level 4: Utter Bullshit
- “I alone can fix it.”
- “No collusion.”
- “I don’t deserve to be here”
This is the stuff that kills. It changes lives forever. And it’s bullshit.
My worst example of utter bullshit was believing it was my fault that I was sexually molested when I was 14. I kept that secret for 45 years — denying it even as it ate at my insides every day. That secret — and even keeping it was bullshit — came within literal inches of killing me.
My bullshit became so convincing that I honestly thought no one would care if I died — that the insurance money would eventually assuage my family’s deep psychic would. Talk about utter bullshit.
We live in an atmosphere that’s equally toxic. We have grown adults refusing to acknowledge what more and more Americans understand is horrifyingly true — that Russia has taken over this country. Evidence of treason and obstruction of justice and election fraud and treason ffs mounts every day. It is bullshit on steroids to deny what mountains of evidence make damningly clear.
Who the hell wants to live like this?
Except a Trumpian, I mean…