We want to believe that, in the end, Good will triumph over Evil. But just because we believe something, that doesn’t make it true. Humans used to believe the earth was the center of the universe. Fortunately, enough humans learned (via scientific curiosity and scientific discovery) that we are in fact nowhere near the center of the universe. Having learned that fact, most of us put ignorance behind us.
Trumpism is Republicanism on steroids. It’s permanent minority rule meant to bake racism, bigotry, misogyny, corruption and even treason into our culture so we can never escape them. Mitch McConnell has stated openly that his proudest achievement was denying Barack Obama is rightful SCOTUS pick. That wasn’t just Obama, Moscow Mitch denied, it was WE THE PEOPLE — the MAJORITY who voted for Obama BECAUSE we wanted HIS SCOTUS pick.
Mitch McConnell is a big part of Trumpism. If Mitch doesn’t blackmail Obama at the September 2016 Gang of Eigjht WH Meeting — insisting that if Obama told We The People that Russia was attacking our election on Trump’s behalf that he’d accuse Obama of politicizing the intelligence — We The People would have approached election 2016 differently. We’d have known, as we voted, that we were under cyber attack. I bet that would have changed the conversation going INTO the election and (even with Trump’s cheating) would have likely changed the election’s (stolen) outcome.
I have faith that the massive influx of women into our electoral system and politics will change the culture drastically. Male, unilateral “I alone can fix it” thinking has brought us to the edge of destruction. 2020 won’t put an end to male unilateral thinking, but it should make it harder for that thinking to dominate ever again.
We can’t just get through this, heave a sigh of relief and get on with things. That will invite repetition. We need to deal with this right here, right now. We need to investigate, indict, prosecute & punish every single person who conspired in any way, shape or form with Donald Trump. That means almost every single Republican.
This mess flows directly from allowing Republicans to compromise The Rule Of Law. Having The Rule Of Law back means following it 100%. That means if someone violated The Rule Of Law, they must be punished. It means that anyone who KNEW the law was being violated — and did nothing — they also must be punished since their silence was complicity if not obstruction of justice.
So — to fix this mess, first we have to stop the criminals from doing criminal things. We have to stop Donald Trump from committing treason as he sits in the White House. We have to stop Trump and the GOP from obstructing our ability to investigate their wrongdoing. We have to learn EVERYTHING about what Russia (and Saudi Arabia and Israel and Turkey and the UAE) did and are doing to violate our sovereignty and integrity.
Once we understand the full nature of what was done, we must begin to UN-DO it. None of it can stand or remain. NONE OF IT. That’s not just because I don’t like it — it’s because it has no legal standing to remain. If Donald Trump did not legitimately WIN election 2016 (if he cheated — relying on Russia to MAKE him POTUS), then he is not now and never actually was president. A guy sitting in YOUR car in YOUR driveway, honking the horn is NOT the car’s owner no matter how much he says he is. YOU are. YOU have receipts establishing your ownership. He has nothing.
Our Democracy cannot survive having the will of the people subverted. If we do that, we’re not a Democracy anymore; the majority has no power over the minority — no power to see their will enacted, legislated, made real. When the point of the exercise is to keep the majority’s will from EVER being made real — that cannot be us.
To right our Ship Of State, we have to batten down the hatches. We have to acknowledge that we are at war — under attack by a hostile foreign power bent on destroying us. We must see that our crisis is extra-Constitutional; just as the Constitution fails to anticipate a treasonous POTUS, We The People will have to look outside the Constitution for our remedy.
This has never happened to us before. There is no precedent. The only thing close to it is slavery. We continue to pay for our Constitutional compromise with slavery. We cannot make a second such compromise and survive. In order to guarantee ourselves that “this” never happens again, We The People must:
· VOID Every Last Election 2016 Result if won by a candidate who cannot account for every penny of their campaign’s financing; if any money from any foreign power found its way into their coffers? They’re gone.
· VOID every single judge Donald Trump nominated (and every judge Mitch McConnell shoved through the Senate). As Trump never had the authority to nominate those judges, they have no “authority” to sit.
· VOID every last piece of Republican legislation enacted since Trump was sworn in. That includes his tax cut for the rich.
· VOID every last change to every federal agency. We reset the meters to the moment before Trump was sworn in and start rebuilding and legislating from there.
· CREATE STRONG, BINDING, IRONCLAD LEGISLATION that makes it flat out ILLEGAL to “steal data, traffic in stolen data, buy stolen data, sell stolen data or USE stolen data. Same goes for receiving ANYTHING from ANY foreign government.
· QUICKLY CRAFT & ENACT LEGISLATION that overrides Citizens United and removes as much money as possible from our politics. We blow up the revolving door that sits between government work and lobbying.
· ENACT TERM LIMITS on Congress. 3 or 4 terms for Congress, 2 for the Senate.
· LIMIT THE POWER OF THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH.
· ACKNOWLEDGE that WE ARE AT WAR WITH RUSSIA.
· We aggressively PURSUE restoring every relationship with every ally.
· We SANCTION the shit out of Vladimir Putin & Russia.
· We AGGRESSIVELY PURSUE every asset Donald Trump & his family own or have a stake in. We PROSECUTE Trump & his family to the very fullest extent of the law. Wherever possible, we seize Trump’s property either use it for the American people or sell it — and use the funds to begin paying for the giant bloody mess Donald Trump has created.
That’s just for starters. The more we learn through investigating these scumbags, the more, I’m sure, we’ll need to investigate, prosecute and punish.
If we really want our country back, it’s incumbent on each and every one of us to do everything WE can to MAKE it happen.